published 50 times a year. The individual
subscription rate is $50 per year for email delivery. The corporate
rate for up to 15 users is $100, for more than 15 is $200.
Publisher and Editor: Paul Franson
Telephone (707) 258-0159
Web site www.NapaLife.com
© 2015 by Paul Franson.
Proofreading by Rosemary Gafner and Betty Teller,
Paul Franson is responsible for content – and errors.
Molly’s Angels Golf
Molly’s Angels 11th annual golf outing will be
Wednesday, Sept. 30 at Chardonnay Golf Club.
It is presented by Compadres and Ca’Momi Winery and
hosted by Giants alumni Vida Blue and Rich Murray:
For more information, call 224-8971 or visit
You can also pick up registration materials at Compadres
in Napa Valley
for details on future events
City Winery at the Napa
- June 16 World Party
- June 17 Leftover Cuties plus Sam Outlaw
- June 18 Bob Schneider
- June 19 Marty Balin
- June 20 Mike Doughty
- June 22 Elaine Elias
- June 23 Albert Lee & Cindy Cashdollar
- June 24 Allen Stone plus Brynn Elliot
- June 25 Frank Bey & Anthony Paule
- June 26 George Winston
- June 27 Rudy Colombini & The Unauthorized
- June 28 An Evening with Leo Kottke
- June 30 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: Witness
- July 2 Active Child
- July 3 Jeff Austin Band July 9 Calexico
- July 5 Shuggie Otis
- July 8 Baby Boomer Comedy Show
- July 10 Karla Bonoff
- July 11 John Mayall
- July 17 Tainted Love
- July 18 Zap Mama
- July 24 10,000 Maniacs
- July 25 Wonder Bread 5
- July 28 NVOH presents Tuesday night flicks: “Double
- July 30 Todd Rundgren Global Tour (2nd date added)
- Aug. 6 Maria Muldaur's Way Past Midnight
- Aug. 14 Marc Cohn plus Phil Cody
- Aug 22 Eric Hutchinson
- Aug. 25 NVOH Present's Tuesday Night Flicks:
Hitchcock's To Catch A Thief
- Sept. 17 Donovan Frankenreiter
- Sept. 20 NVOH and Lucky Penny presents: “I’m the
Greatest future Star Musical Theatre Competition for Kids
- Oct. 18 A Special Solo
Evening with Joan Armatrading
- Oct. 25 NVOH and Terry Bradford present Terry
Bradford's Voice Studio Concert
Most events start at 8 p.m.
Buy concert tickets or get information on a becoming a
at 260-1600 or www.citywinery.com.
- July 17 Tommy Castro & The Painkillers
- July 26 Soul Asylum and Meat
- Aug 1 Mary Chapin Carpenter
- Aug 15 Jerry Jeff Walker
- Aug 22 Casey Abrams
- Sept 11 Comedian Eddie Izzard
- Aug 29 Comedian Rodney Carrington
- Sept 19 Comedian Steven Wright
- Sept 27 Mavis Staples with Joan Osborne
- Oct 3 Get The LED Out
- Oct 1 Boz Scaggs
- Oct 10 Chris Botti
- Oct 30 Dave Davies of the KINKS
- Nov 14 Comedian Kathleen Madigan
- Nov 25 An Irish Christmas
- Dec 2 Milk Carton Kids
- May 5 David Sedaris (2016)
Most shows are at 8 p.m. The Uptown Theatre is at
1350 Third St.
Napa. The box office phone is 259-0123 x 6 and website is
Performing Arts Center
at Lincoln Theate
- Drama Boot Camp June 15-19
- Marnie Breckenridge performs "The Great American
Songbook" June 20, 7pm
- Symphony Napa Valley with Michael Guttman Viva
Vivaldi! June 28, 3pm
- Amy Hanaiali'i July 10
- Performance Lab Intensive Camp July 27- August 7
- Speakeasy Series: Laura Noel July 31
- Villalobos Brothers Aug. 15
- Dan Goodman presents Nonsense and Verse Aug. 20
- California Symphony Presents: Traditions New and Old
December 21, 5pm
- California Symphony Presents: A Grand Finale May 6,
Get information and tickets at
www.lincolntheater.org or 944-9900.
Napa Valley College
Performing Arts Center
Visit www.musicnapavalley.org, www.napavalleytheater.org
www.shakespearenapavalley.org or call 256-7500.
Lucky Penny Community Arts
- June 4-20 Cowgirls:
- July-August Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Lucky Penny productions also appear at other venues
includinghave its ongoing Sunday series at the Napa Valley Opera
House once a month.
Summer converts at
Jamieson Ranch Winery
Jamieson Ranch Winery’s summer concert series returns
this year with an interesting variety of acts. Most are free, but
some require tickets.
- June 27 – Jimi James Band, 1-4 p.m.
- July 4 –Howell Devine, 1-4 p.m.
- July 18 – Allen Stone (tickets required)
- Aug. 15 – Stu Tails, 1-4 p.m.
- Sept. 5 – Charlie Wade, 1-4 p.m.
- Sept. 15 – Big Blu Soul, 1-4 p.m.
- Sept. 19 – Loose Blues, 1-4 p.m.
Get details at www.jamiesonranch.com.
Long Meadow Ranch
summer concert series
- June 28 traditional country rhythm and bluegrass
- July 19 Nashville’s The Travelin’ McCourys, sons of
bluegrass legend Del McCoury
- Aug. 16 Hot Buttered Rum, San Francisco’s own
postmodern string band
- Aug. 30 West Coast favorites and high-energy string
band The Brothers Comatose along with North Lake Tahoe’s Dead Winter
- Sept. 20 bluegrass The Infamous Stringdusters
- Oct. 4 LMR All-Star Big Band, a 20-player big band
drawn from an internationally accomplished group of musicians that has
played jazz across the world benefiting the Timothy Hall Foundation.
Tickets are mostly $35 in advance. For tickets and more
information, visit www.longmeadowranch.com or call 963-4555.
Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch is at 738 Main St. in St. Helena.
Robert Mondavi Winery
- July 4 The Wallflowers & Andrew McMahon in the
- July 11 Phillip Phillips
- July 18 Lyle Lovett
- July 25 Melissa Etheridge
- Aug. 1 Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Visit www.robertmondaviwinery.com or call (888) 769-5299.
The Robert Mondavi Winery is at 7801 St. Helena Highway in Oakville.
Compadres' Sunday Summer
4-7 p.m. each Sunday thru Labor Day Weekend,
- June 14 - Double Shot
- June 21 - The Greg Richmond Band
- June 28 - The Swinging Chads
Napa City Nights
Napa City Nights, a free summer concert series at Veterans Memorial
Park, returns to downtown starting June 5.
Each Friday night lineup includes three local bands, with music running
from 6:30 to 10 p.m.
Bring a blanket and a picnic, and enjoy the shows.
This summer's lineup:
- June 19: No show
- June 26: The Bad Jones, C4INC, Rose Paradise
- July 3: No show
- July 10: Twice as Good, Shawna Lynn Band, The Pine
- July 17: The Deadlies, 37th Parallel, Francesca Lee
- July 24: Revolver, The Voltones, Grover Anderson
- July 31: Nuclear Blonde, Whitney Nichole Band, Sara
- Aug. 7: BeaufunK, Amber Snider Band, Trevor Lyon
- Aug. 14: Harvey & the Wallbangers, Skunk Funk,
Kristen Van Dyke
- Aug. 21: The Soul Section, Graveyard Boots, Vincent
- Aug. 28: The Used Blues Band, Girls & Boys, Dawn
- Sept. 4: Brad Wilson, Funk Pickles, Doug Houser
Sebastiani Vineyards features music from 6 to 9 p.m. every Friday
through Sept. 25.
They’ll also have food and wine for sale and the last Friday of the
month is Food Truck Friday in the parking lot with Pagan Pizza, Tips
Trips & Tri-Tip, Caribbean Spices, Got Ball Meatball Factory, Marks
the Spot and Seed on the Go.
Here’s the schedule (subject to change):
- June 19: The Rolling Blackouts – One of Sebastopol’s
finest bands playing Classic R&B.
- June 26: Adam Traum and the Mosey Boys – Bluegrass,
country blues, rockabilly and folk styles. Food Truck Friday).
- July 3: The Cork Pullers – Sonoma’s premier acoustic
vocal band harmonizing Classic Rock with a little Country.
- July 10: BackTrax – Dance the night away to all your
favorite covers from the ‘60s to the ‘90s.
- July 17: Ten Foot Tone
- July 24: Jami Jamison Band
- July 31: Magic – A local favorite playing hits from
Motown. Food Truck Friday.
- Aug. 7: Big Iron – Classic dancing, drinking,
sing-along Bakersfield-style honky-tonk.
- Aug. 14: Rhett Hammer Blues Band – Playing Classic
Rock with soulful R&B.
- Aug. 21: The Incognito Band
- Aug. 28: Ten Foot Tone – Food Truck Friday.
- Sept. 4: Poyntlyss Sistars – Playing Rock, R&B,
Motown, and Pop through the decades.
- Sept. 11: Sugar Foot – High-caliber R&B, Rock,
Funk, Dance, & Groove music.
- Sept. 18: BackTrax – Dance the night away to all your
favorite covers from the 60’s to the 90’s.
- Sept. 25: The Rolling Blackouts – One of Sebastopol’s
finest bands playing Classic R&B. Food Truck Friday
Reservations are not required for these events and
there’s no cost to attend.
Sebastiani Vineyards is at 389 Fourth St. East in Sonoma.
A subscription to NapaLife
Subscribers can give gift subscriptions to
NapaLife for friends,
relatives and colleagues for only $25. See box at top right.
Realtors and others who want to give NapaLife to
their clients can give 10 for $100.
Contact Paul Franson at email@example.com.
Insider's Guide to Napa Valley – 2015 Edition
By Paul Franson
The NapaLife Insider's Guide to Napa Valley
tells the stories behind the valley and its people, and learn
everything from the best views in Napa Valley to why Napa Valley is the
unique place it is.
Print copy www.createspace.com/3987074 $19.99
Kindle version Amazon.com $9.99
Spinning the Bottle Again
By Paul Franson and Harvey Posert
Spinning the Bottle
contains strategies, tactics and case studies of wine public relations.
It’s a heavily updated and revised version of the seminal book on wine
public relations Spinning the Bottle.
Bottle Again is a collection of theory, practical information
and case studies about promoting wine, wineries and wine-related issues.
Print version is $19.95 from Createspace, part of
Amazon, at www.createspace.com/3794516.
Kindle version from Amazon.com $9.99.
Paradise: Adventures and Misadventures in the Romantic
by Paul Franson
You may dream of buying a boat in the tropics, but
you’d do well to read this book before you do.
Author and sailor Paul Franson has had some of the
best times in his
life on the varied islands of the West Indies, but he’s also had some
experiences that he can be philosophical about only decades later.
The book also includes tales of other sailing
adventures, a guide to
sailing some popular islands, and a cookbook of Caribbean recipes.
Print version www.createspace.com/4938856 $9.99
Kindle version $4.99 from Amazon.com.
You can also contact Paul Franson to find out how
to buy copies locally or pdf versions for use on computers and