insider's guide for those who live in Napa Valley –
wish they did.
Nov. 17, 2014
the web portal to NapaLife,
which is emailed each Monday to
subscribers. It's usually 12 to 18 pages or more of scoops, news and
happening in Napa Valley.
Go to TravelTastes for
wine, food and travel writing outside Napa Valley by Paul Franson.
Use either a
Pal. I use the PayPal systems, but it also accepts credit cards without
joining. American Express cards sometimes don't work...
individual one-year subscription $50 per year
Renew individual subscription
for a year for $50
subscribe to NapaLife
or renew by sending a check to Paul Franson, 2035 Oak St.,
to include your
in Napa Valley
for details on future events
City Winery at the Napa Valley
- Nov. 20 Songs & Stories - An Evening with Art
- Nov. 21 JGB with Melvin Seals
- Nov. 22 Radney Foster
- Nov. 23 NVOH Presents: The Aeolus Quartet plus The Napa
Valley Youth Symphony
- Nov. 25 NVOH Present: Tuesday Night Flicks: “White
- Nov. 26 Robert Hunter
- Nov. 28 Robert Hunter
- Nov. 29 Robert Hunter
- Nov. 30 NVOH and Terry Bradford Voice Studio Presents
“Glitz & Glam”
- Dec. 6 A John Waters Christmas
- Dec. 9 NVOH Presents: An Irish Christmas
- Dec. 12 Mike Birbiglia – Thank God For Jokes
- Dec. 14 NVOH Presents: The Return of
- Dec. 28 Blind Melon
- Dec. 31 Los Lobos
- Jan. 3 Petty Theft - San Francisco Tribute to Tom
Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Jan. 9 Larry Coryell
- Jan. 16 Blame Sally
- Jan. 18 NVOH Presents: Capitol Steps
- Jan. 20 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Foreign
- Jan. 28 An Evening with Eric Johnson and MIke Stern
- Jan. 31 Forejour - Foreigner & Journey Tribute
- Feb. 6 Dengue Fever
- Feb. 8 Isa Live: A Vegan Life In Four Courses with
- Feb. 24 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “A Night
- March 8 NVOH Presents: Hapa
- 3/20 Colin Hay
- March 24 NVOH Presents: Altan
- March 31 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “The Big
- April 24 Janis Ian and Tom Paxton
- April 26 NVOH and Terry Bradford Voice Studio
"Glitz & Glam"
- April 28 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “The
- May 26 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Love in
- June 30 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Witness
- July 28 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Double
- Aug. 25 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “North by
- Oct. 25 NVOH and Terry Bradford Voice Studio Presents
"Glitz & Glam"
Most events start at 8 p.m.
Buy concert tickets or get information on a becoming a
at 260-1600 or www.citywinery.com.
The Uptown Theatre is closed for shows until Nov. 9, but the box
office remains open M-F 12pm-5pm and Sat. 12pm-4pm
Most shows are at 8 p.m.
- Dec. 12 Merle Haggard
- Dec. 13 Robert Cray
- Jan. 23 The Beach Boys
- Feb. 21 Crystal Bowersox
- March 13 The Fab Four Ultimate Beatles Tribute
- April 16 Dave Mason’s Traffic Jam
The Uptown Theatre is at 1350 Third St. in
Napa. The box office phone is 259-0123 x 6 and website is
Performing Arts Center
at Lincoln Theate
- Sunday, Nov. 23, From Bach to Glass and Back with Maestro
- Friday, Dec. 5, Pink Martini Christmas with Symphony Napa
- Friday, Dec. 4,
special student preview Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre’s King Lear
- Saturday, Dec. 6, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre’s King Lear
- Saturday, Dec.
13 Amadeus film and Merry
Mozart Celebration with Sir Neville Marriner
- Sunday, Dec. 14 Sir Neville Marriner and Dmitry Sitkovetsky
Symphony Napa Valley 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 18, Golden Dragon Acrobats Cirque Ziva
- Friday, Feb. 13, Mariachi Vargas
- Saturday, Feb.
14 Valentine's Day Swing Dance Celebration 6 p.m.
- Sunday, March 29 Peter Coyote and Dmitry Sitkovetsky with
Napa Valley 3 p.m.
- Sunday, April 12, TEDxNapaValley Redefining Success
- Sunday, May 31, Tango and Opera Sensations with Maestro
- Sunday, June 28, Viva Vivaldi! with Maestro Michael Guttman
Get information and tickets at
www.lincolntheater.org or 944-9900.
Napa Valley College
- Nov. 23 Harvest Of Music at 3 p.m. Main Theater
- Dec. 7 Tribute to Nelson Mandela and Maya Angelou:
Sanctus by David Fanshawe at 3 p.m. Main Theater
- Dec. 12 Jazz Impressions at 8 p.m. Main Theater 8 p.m.
- Dec. 13 Voice Recital at 8 p.m. Main Theater 8 p.m.
- Dec. 14 Winds Extraordinaire Main Theater 3 p.m.
Visit www.musicnapavalley.org, www.napavalleytheater.org
www.shakespearenapavalley.org or call 256-7500.
Starting Here, Starting
of Insider's Guide available
Though it's only been a year and a half, it was time to
bring the NapaLife Insider's Guide to
bring it up to date.
I've made hundreds of changes to add and delete
and other venues, and correct errors.
The price is only $19.99. You can
at Createspace, part of Amazon, or at Amazon,
but I get a better deal
The Kindle version is $9.99 at amazon.com.
It's a great gift for friends, colleagues and visitors.
want a bunch, as some realtors have found, it's an even better deal.
They give it to newcomers to the valley. Email email@example.com.
and Misadventures in the Romantic Caribbean Sea
You may dream of buying a boat
and heading for the tropics, but you’d do well to read this book before
Author and sailor Paul Franson
loves the romantic islands of the
Caribbean Sea, but it’s not clear that those islands love him. He’s had
some of the best times in his life on the varied islands of the West
Indies, but he’s also had some experiences that he can be philosophical
about only decades later.
Formerly a writer and marketer in
Silicon Valley, Franson now lives
in Napa Valley, where he writes about wine, food, travel and the Wine
County lifestyle — and occasionally more far-reaching subjects.
He’s been to about two dozen
different Caribbean islands, and still wants to visit more — but not on
his own sailboat.
The 170-page book also contains
tales of sailing trips and other
visits to other islands, information about some popular sailing
destinations and a collection of recipes from the Caribbean.
Order a print version for $9.99
You can also buy it from Amazon,
which owns Createspace, but I get a smaller royalty from Amazon.
The Kindle version is $4.99 at www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGWSFC0.
You can buy copies from me while I arrange some retail
outlets. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to NapaLife
2035 Oak St.
Napa, CA 94559
subscription ___ renewal ___
the Bottle Again updates seminal how-to book on wine
Paul Franson and
Harvey Posert have introduced Spinning
the Bottle Again: More strategies, tactics and case studies of
wine public relations, a heavily updated and revised version of
the seminal how-to book on wine public relations Spinning the Bottle.
Spinning the Bottle Again is a
collection of theory, practical information and case studies about
promoting wine, wineries and wine-related issues.
In all, almost 50
experts tell how tell how to conduct effective public relations
campaigns with examples of their programs what they accomplished.
The studies were
collected by PR experts Harvey Posert and Paul Franson, who both live
in Napa Valley. Each also contributed chapters to the mix.
Posert was the
long-time head of public relations for renowned Robert Mondavi Winery
as well as the Wine Institute. He also worked in general public
relations and spent time as a daily newspaper reporter.
Franson has extensive
experience in corporate and agency public relations as well as business
reporting and editing. He founded one of Silicon Valley’s largest
public relations firms. For the last 16 years, he has specializing in
writing about wine and related subjects.
The book is must
reading for anyone involved in managing a winery or marketing wine.
It's relevant to the student of wine and marketing, the seasoned exec
or owner, and a source of ideas for PR pros.
Both print and
electronic versions are available.
The print version is
$19.95 from Createspace, part of Amazon, at www.createspace.com/3794516.
The Kindle version is
$9.99 from Amazon.com.
A pdf version is $9.99
The original Spinning
the Bottle is available for $20.
Visit www.spinningthebottle.com for
more information or contact Paul Franson at email@example.com or